Thursday 12 July 2012


LEADERSHIP


But how do we know what it means to really be a leader and how do we know who should do it?
There are some clues to those answers in folk literature, I think.
The first story is about two boats that meet head on in a shipping channel at night.
As boats are wont to do in the dark, boat number 1 flashed boat number 2: “We are on a collision course. Turn your boat 10 degrees north.”
Boat 2 signaled back: “Yes, we are on a collision course. Turn your boat 10 degrees south.”
Boat 1 signaled again: “I am an admiral in her majesty’s navy; I am telling you to turn your boat 10 degrees north.”
Boat 2 flashed back immediately: “And I am a seaman 2nd class. And I am telling you to turn your boat 10 degrees south.”
By this time, the admiral was furious. He flashed back: “I repeat! I am an admiral in her majesty’s navy and I am commanding you to turn your boat 10 degrees north. I am in a battleship!”
And the second boat returned a signal that said: “And I am commanding you to turn your boat 10 degrees south. I am in a lighthouse.”
Point: Rank, titles and positions are no substitute for leadership.

No comments:

Post a Comment