DOWN AND CONNOR PRIEST RESPONDS TO BLOG
Hello Pat, I am new on here and was told about your website. Clergy and laity are talking about it which is no harm. I have been reading it, on and off, this last week - haven't read all of it. A few random observations which I hope you won't take offensively on various matters:
1. Catholics do not believe that their fellow Christians won't be in Heaven. The church doesn't teach this - never has. a priest called Feeney was excomm in the 50's for saying Protestants can't go to Heaven. This is in contrast to the 'saved' Protestants who are adamant Catholics are damned unless they 'convert' to their mindset.
2. The infallibility of the Pope is a charism of the Holy Spirit for the good of the church. It does not mean the pope is always right - you should know this. Infallibility has been rarely used - only three times - apart from Church councils. The Pope is as liable to be wrong/ sinful, etc. as all of us are. God promised to guide the Church, however, throu the Holy Spirit.
3. To worship Mary is idolatry and would separate you from the faith of the Church. no true catholic regards her as a 'goddess'.
4. re. euthanasia/abortion - it is not to impose your Christian beliefs to utterly resist these - anymore than it is to resist stealing/murder/abuse. There are things that are wrong of themselves and it is our duty to oppose them by every legitimate means and seek to dissuade others from them. Extreme cases make for bad laws. Deliberate Euthanasia and abortion are acts of murder - never right.
5. The case of bishop Dallat was news to me. I found him the most 'real' of the bishops during the walsh regime (walsh unapproachable, sarcastic and with a shed load of 'baggage'; Farquhar's nickname being 'Coco the clown' among priests). The abolition of celibacy would not alleviate our probs - might add to them and further complicate matters. Whatever about bp Dallat - good luck to him and God rest him.
6. Unfair to blame bp Treanor for D&C probs. He didn't cause them.
This place was/is totally dysfunctional, dominated by characters who were gravely lacking in basic human/pastoral skills. Treanor may not be personality of the year but he is good-hearted. p.walsh's 'promotion' was a symptom of everything wrong with D&C. C Daly, I once heard accurately described as 'a pompous little fusspot' LOL.
These men had no ability to interact meaningfully with either priests or laity - totally unqualified spiritually, humanly. No 'smell of the sheep' - they kept 'the sheep' at bay and regarded them with contempt. Farquhar was promising very gifted but was suppressed by Daly and always in the shade of Walsh. He hadn't the strength of character to face them down. he resorted to being 'the clown' sad and tragic for him. It has greatly affected his health. gone to seed years ago.
7. Dallat was imposed on Walsh who craved episcopate for his mate Tom Toner.
Tom TonerDaly spiked this. Toner, God rest him, would have been another useless tool and clone of Walsh. When poor old Dallat died, Walsh again sought TT. Again denied. donal mckeown was again imposed on Walsh who wasn't informed of the apt by the nuncio but by mckeown (dickie) himself by phone - much to PW's dismay. A brief moment of hope when dickie was apopointed soon evaporated when dmcK jumped into Patty's soutance pocket and became a drone too. sad.
8. the donaghy case was horrific.
Father James DonaghyI had some limited insight into the suffering of his victims. a friend of mine was present for the entire court case - the evidence of the victims and when JD himself took the stand. The trial had to be halted one day because a juror became physically ill listening to a victim's evidence. JD was a very violent predator. I was told that watching Fr McCafferty give evidence was like watching a crucifixion. Walsh has many unanswered questions which he refuses to answer. The UTV prog in recent months flagged the issues but no one took them up. Very very strange indeed. Thankfully justice was done for all concerned.
9. The Hugh kennedy saga was and is astonishing.
Hugh Kennedy on lefthe has no respect among the people of st peter's - a parish he has destroyed. In any other walk of life, he would be handed his p45 but not in D&C. His open gay affair is shocking to people. He would be forgiven if he was a kind man but he is an arrogant snob - again no smell of the sheep. The diocesan cathedral is a mess. God luck to Ciaran dallat and God bless him! Again, Walsh appointed Kennedy. Walsh seems to have a penchant for disastrous decisions. Kennedy's obvious dysfunctionality should have been addressed with the man for his own good years ago but he was let run amok and even indulged.
10. Lay People are talking about homosexual Down and Connor clergy's exploits in gay bars and cruising areas. Belfast is a village. The dogs on the street know their names and they are going to get caught. Journalists are reading this sight. This is a powder keg. Priests have been seen in gay bars in Belfast openly acting up. Stoopid or what?
Anyhow, this was a disjointed response to issues on your site Pat. I wish you well. A brother priest "Sagart, Dun agus Conaire"