THE ISSUE OF GAYS IN THE PRIESTHOOD:
TODAY - LEAVING ALL PERSONALITIES TO THE SIDE - CAN WE HAVE A RATIONAL DEBATE ABOUT THE PLACE OF GAY MEN IN THE ROMAN CATHOLIC PRIESTHOOD.
|FATHER MYCHAL JUDGE|
One candidate for sainthood by acclamation is Fr Mychal Judge, chaplain to the New York Fire Department, the saint of 9/11, who died in the twin towers and was carried out, formally identified as victim 0001. Immediately, the Cardinal Archbishop of New York and other prominent Catholics began calling for his canonization. Those calls ended abruptly when it became known that he was an active member of Dignity, and identified openly as gay.
Let us firstly spell out a few "givens"
1. There have always been homosexual men in the priesthood as popes, cardinals, bishops, priests, deacons and seminarians.
2. Many of these homosexual priests were and are excellent and holy priests and were and are a tremendous asset to the Church and to the world
3. Some of these homosexual clerics were and are absolute lechers and have been guilty of every crime under God's sun.
4. God always has, still does and will always call homosexual men to the priesthood and want them to be believing, prayerful, moral, pastoral and non-sinning in so far as they are able.
5. The celibacy law is man made - not from God - and as God said in the very first book of the Bible: "IT IS NOT GOOD FOR A MAN TO BE ALONE".
6. God gives some men, of all sexual orientations, the grace of celibacy. But this gift is rare, given to a few and bad for the majority.
7. To my mind God has absolutely no problem with a priest having a loving partner in his life - and in many cases the presence of such a person makes the priest a better priest.
8. However, currently, the Roman Catholic part of God's Church demands that all its priests, with rare exceptions, maintain celibacy.
9. It is therefore dishonest - BEARING FALSE WITNESS ( 8th commandment) - for a Roman cleric or seminarian to be living a double life - enjoying the privileges and benefits of the clerical state while living a double life by being sexually active.
10. Such men should not enter the RC priesthood in the first place knowing that they will have this issue all their lives - or leave it when the issue of being sexually comes up.
11. There are other parts of the Christian Church that allow gay men to be non celibate that these men can join if they want to pursue priestly ministry. This is the honest way.
BUT WHAT ABOUT THE GAY CABAL - THE GAY JACK THE LADS?
Our discussion of this topic has not been launched by the issue of a gay cleric having one, discreet lover in their lives.
It has been launched by the developing presence in the Roman Catholic Church of a LAVENDER MAFIA. What are the outward signs of the lavender mafia:
1. Seminaries and dioceses being swarmed by priests and seminarians who are promiscuously and sexually active homosexuals and the forming a significant if not majority gang within the diocese or seminary.
2. This sexually active gay majority taking control of the diocese or seminary by stealth to the point where in only they, and they alone, exercise control and power - be it subtle or obvious.
3. The targeting in various ways by this gang of other priests and seminarians who are not in the gang leading to the exclusion of these others from the seminary or diocese.
4. The gradual moral and ethical deterioration among theses gangs to the point whereby the diocese or seminary almost becomes a large gay club or sauna involved in the most sordid or practices and the extinction of any spirituality, morality or ethical structure.
5. The gradual preferment of members of these gangs to positions of authority in the seminary or diocese up to an including the formators, the episcopate and Roman Curia.
6. The efforts by these gangs to recruit only priesthood candidates according to their own mind and way of behaving and to turn away other perfectly suitable candidates.
7. The sending out from the seminary into the dioceses of members of these gangs to unleash their attentions on innocent parishioners and other people they come across personally or on internet sites.
So we see that the problem is not simply one of the sexual orientation of one man and how he handles it - but rather the gradual spread of a whole subculture determined to become the whole culture.
This is not a "disease" of an arm. This is a disease that is totally systematic that will eventually affect the arms, the legs, the torso and the head and cause the death of the whole body.
And can I say in tacking this problem there is NO PLACE for subtle or overt HOMOPHOBIA.
Were this a "heterosexual" disease it would be just as powerful.
It is about the decay and death of a morality, a spirituality, an ethic, a living organism - that is the BODY OF CHRIST.
Its about turning something with a infinite potential for GOOD into something that welcomes, embraces, lives with and promotes EVIL.
Its about using a medicine initially created to HEAL and turning it into a WEAPON OF MASS DESTRUCTION!