Apparently this priest is a senior (by age) priests of Waterford Diocese and is living near the Bishop's House in Waterford.
According to this Waterford priest the cleric in question had to step down from ministry a number of years ago after an allegation that he had "a very inappropriate encounter" with a little girl in the upstairs part of her family home?
The priest was there for dinner as a guest of the family and became quite inebriated and went to the upstairs toilet.
The Waterford priest who contacted me has given me the priest's name and while I am not publishing it here on this Blog for the present I am communicating the information today to the civil authorities in Waterford.
|SAINT JOHN'S COLLEGE WATERFORD|
I understand that the alleged incident DID NOT happen since Phonsie became the Bishop of Waterford but it is highly unlikely that he does not know about it - especially as the priests lives in the same grounds as he does.
I do not know if the incident was reported to the Gardai or Social Services at the time ?
I have been told that the Diocese of Waterford arrived at a sizeable financial settlement with the girl's parents.
I have also been told that the priest has not been referred to the authorities in Rome for laicization and is therefore technically able to minister as a priest if he wishes.
Apparently all his living expenses have always been paid by the Waterford Diocese and Phonsie & Co are still covering all those expenses.
I was very sad to hear from my Waterford priest informant that the go between man between the family and the diocese was Monsignor John Shine whose funeral I attended in Tramore on Tuesday where I was refused Holy Communion by Phonsie!
If the priest in question has not been reported to the authorities he will not be on any register and will not be supervised.
This means that the risk level cannot be assessed.
This is a most serious situation.
A RECENT CASE
Priest stands down from primary school role after nephew Bill Kenneally's sex abuse victims call for resignation
A parish priest has stood down from his role at a primary school after his nephew’s sex abuse victims called for him to go.
Monsignor John Shine, 91, resigned as chairperson of the Board of Management of Holy Cross National School, Tramore, Co Waterford today.
In a statement issued by the Diocese of Waterford and Lismore on his behalf he said: “I have made my decision bearing in mind the wishes, and indeed the distress, of the victims of my nephew Bill Kenneally.”
Monsignor Shine said: “When I am in a position to do so, I would very much wish to meet with the victims to hear their views, and to share with them all that I know of events of the past.
“It is my deep hope that I may be reconciled with them in their immense suffering.”
He also says that he has been “housebound for the last three months” due to a serious illness.
Bishop of Waterford & Lismore Alphonsus Cullinan has formally accepted his resignation.
Victims are calling for an Commission of Investigation into who knew about the abuse and “turned a blind eye”.
They claim that members of An Garda Siochana, Fianna Fail, the Catholic Church and the South Eastern Health Board all knew about it.
The men, now aged in their forties, have met with the Justice Minister to discuss their concerns.
They allege the Monsignor knew from at least 2002 that his nephew had abused at least one boy, but did nothing.
Last week five victims wrote to the Pope calling for his resignation.
Victim Colin Power told the Sunday Mirror: “The role of a board of management is to safeguard children from awful things like this. You can’t have a man who knew his nephew was a paedophile and did nothing in a position like this in a primary school.”
Mr Power added: “I do welcome his resignation. In my opinion he’s done the right thing resigning. It’s just a pity he didn’t do it sooner.
“The court case was this time last year. He knew the level of abuse we’re talking about here and didn’t approach us at any point over the past twelve months,” said Mr Power.
He continued: “Why is he looking for the opportunity to meet us now? Why didn’t he look for that before all of the media coverage?
“Whatever information he has now he had last year. But that said whatever information he does have we would welcome that coming out.”
He added his frustration that victims had to wait months for action.
“We had to go to the media when the school and Department of Education wouldn’t act. We wanted him off the board.”
Principal at the school John Kindlon previously told the Mirror that he couldn’t comment on the matter, because he is employed directly by the board of management.
The Department of Education stated that his appointment was made by the Bishop and not the department.