Priest who claimed 'gay mafia' controls Catholic church seeks parish return
Father Matthew Despard was rapped by the church over explosive claims in his book Priesthood in Crisis.
JOHN FERGUSON DAILY RECORD
A Catholic priest at the centre of gay mafia accusations is set to return to a Scottish parish.
Father Matthew Despard, 52, was forced to quit after being rapped by the church over explosive claims in his book Priesthood in Crisis.
He wrote that a “powerful gay mafia” was operating at the top of the Catholic hierarchy and was responsible for sexual bullying
Despard was forced to stand down from his post at St John Ogilvie’s Parish in Blantyre, Lanarkshire.
The priest also spoke out about the gay mafia in Catholic seminaries.
But he could now return after a Vatican court “partly reversed” the decision of a Scottish church tribunal.
Bishop of Motherwell Joseph Toal said: “Fr Despard has requested he be allowed to return to public priestly ministry by being given a new pastoral assignment.”
Father Despard was dismissed from his parish and suspended SIMPLY FOR TELLING THE TRUTH!
What was that truth:
1. That the Catholic Hierarchy is manned by promiscuous and bullying homosexuals - all the way to the top.
2. That as an army chaplain other priests had tried to seduce him.
3. That seminaries were being taken over by promiscuous homosexuals.
4. That other priests had tried to seduce him.
Instead of listening to Father Despard's claims - and investigating them - Father Despard was removed from his parish and suspended.
He then appealed his sacking to a Scottish Church Tribunal and they upheld his sacking.
Father Despard then appealed to Rome and his punishment has been "partly lifted" and he has requested to return to pastoral work.
What kind of an organisation sacks its whistle blowers?
ANSWER: A CORRUPT ONE.
By all accounts, Father Despard is a good priest. He obviously loves his Church and priesthood - and wishes it to be purified.
When I was sacked by Cahal Daly - in a similar way - and for similar reasons - 31 years ago I decided not to appeal to a Church court.
I felt that it would be like indicting the Devil and holding the court in Hell.
The Tribunal Cahal Daly offered me had the following conditions:
1. The Tribunal would consist of 10 priests - 9 appointed by Daly and 1 appointed by me FROM A LIST HE WOULD GIVE ME!
2. Daly could meet the panel - but I could not!
3. The panel could read my personnel file - but I could not!
4. I could not hear the charges or evidence that Daly would bring against me!
5. There would be no further appeal!
There is very little justice in canon law for those at the lower levels.
I am pleased that Father Despard that he is being allowed back to ministry.
But HIS CARDS HAVE BEEN MARKED and he will have to lie very low to please Bishop Toal and senior clergy.
If priests want justice and rights they need to form a CLERGY TRADE UNION capable of bringing the Hierarchy to a halt.
Of course, any priest joining that union will not get promotion and will always be a PERSONA NON-GRATIA.