"THE MEMORY OF JESUS IS BOTH SACRED AND SUBVERSIVE"
Friday, 16 June 2017
MAYNOOTH CHANGES FORCED ON IRISH BISHOPS
THE IRISH CATHOLIC BISHOPS HAVE BEEN FORCED BY ROME TO MAKE MAJOR CHANGES AT MAYNOOTH SEMINARY AND HAVE BEEN WARNED THAT THIS IS THE LAST CHANCE THEY WILL HAVE TO STOP MAYNOOTH BEING CLOSED BY ROME!
I have been told this by a senior Irish cleric who is very close to the movers and shakers in the Eternal City.
Among the changes forced on the bishops are:
1. The appointment of a new interim president with the shortened term of three instead of five years.
2. The appointment in the near future of a "Pro Rector" who will be responsible instead of the president for the formation of priests.
The bishops admit these factors in a carefully worded, face saving statement, they issued yesterday after the bishop trustees met at Maynooth. They said:
"The Trustees of the College, in consultation with the relevant Congregations of the Holy See, have agreed to revise the governance structures of the College, with particular reference to the Seminary and the Pontifical University as two interrelated but distinct entities".
Here is the statement from the bishop trustees:
"The Trustees of Saint Patrick’s College, Maynooth have appointed Reverend Professor Michael Mullaney as President of Saint Patrick’s College, Maynooth for the next three years, with effect from 1 September 2017. In welcoming the appointment Archbishop Eamon Martin, Chairman of the Trustees, said:
“I warmly congratulate and send my prayerful good wishes to Father Michael Mullaney on his appointment to the role of President of Saint Patrick’s College, Maynooth. Saint Patrick’s College, Maynooth is not only home to our national seminary, but its Pontifical University offers courses to almost one thousand students – women and men, full time and part time, resident and non-resident, seminarians and religious from all over the country. The Trustees are firmly committed to the College as a key contributor to the future of the Church in Ireland as it prepares both clergy and lay people to fully exercise their baptismal calling and bring their gifts to the service of God’s people”.
“In appointing Father Mullaney as President for a period of three years, the Trustees of the College, in consultation with the relevant Congregations of the Holy See, have agreed to revise the governance structures of the College, with particular reference to the Seminary and the Pontifical University as two interrelated but distinct entities. Plans for the further development of a vibrant pontifical university, alongside the implementation of the vision for priestly formation set out in the new universal norms The Gift of the Priestly Vocation published by the Congregation for the Clergy last December, have led us to reflect on the complementary but distinct roles and responsibilities of a Seminary Rector and the President of a Pontifical University. We have therefore decided to prepare for the appointment in due course of a Pro-Rector with dedicated responsibility for seminary formation at Maynooth.”
NEW BROOM - TOM SURLIS
The statement further states that the current controversial Director of Formation - Father Paul Prior - is leaving and is being replaced by Father Tom Surlis the former president of St. Nathys College, Ballaghadarreen.
A source in Paul Prior's home diocese of Kilmore (Cavan) has told me that Paul Prior has been offered a sabbatical before returning to the diocese and parish ministry. The sabbatical and its length has not yet been agreed.
The Maynooth / Gay / Grindr scandal broke on this Blog just over 12 months ago and then spread to the Irish and international media.
I have faithfully copied much information since then to a number of sources in Rome.
I am also told that the former papal nuncio, Charlie Brown, sent a great deal of information and internet / press cuttings to his bosses in Rome.
Also a number of highly influential Irish Catholic lay person have communicated with their Roman contacts about their concerns and other matters concerning the Irish Church.
The Rome authorities were quite concerned about the Maynooth scandal continuing and possibly overshadowing the likely visit of Pope Francis to the World Family event in Dublin in 2018.
I have my doubts that these changes will address the deep seated issues at Maynooth.
Many would agree with me that it needs to be closed and a new beginning made elsewhere.
Only time will tell.
Either way - Maynooth has entered the LAST CHANCE SALOON.
I would urge readers, priests, seminarians and others to keep us informed.
I will continue to collate all reports and forward them to my contacts.